God is love!!
We should be like God!
Therefore, we should be love.
And we should teach our kids to love.
It’s easy to get busy and focused on everything else but giving love and serving others.
One challenge Christians face today is focusing on others verses focusing on ourselves. When life gets busy we tend to focus inwardly not outwardly.
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:7-8
Here are some ideas to help you focus on giving love, teaching your kids how to love, and showing what love is.
- Be an example – Show love and be love with your family first. Building each other up in your own home is the best way to show how to love.
- Learn about love – Find some bible verses or read some good books about people who lived sacrificially. There are more than enough examples to learn about out there.
- Find real-life current examples – The little old lady at church, your pastor, or a missionary are great places to start. Sit down and talk about what they do and how they live sacrificially.
- Practice showing love in the family – What’s something special you can do today? Do something for each other just because you can. Make holidays extra special by telling each other why you love each other.
- Show love to people you know not in your family – Pick someone to do something nice for. This doesn’t have to be hard. Make some cookies for your local fire department or take some used towels to the local animal shelter. The big thing is to think about giving on a regular basis. Generous, loving people are generous and loving all the time.
- Show love to someone you don’t know – Pay for someone’s lunch, leave someone an inspirational note or bible verse at a restaurant. Be sneaky and surprise people. It’s fun!!
- Read books of sacrificial love. – Read a book about strong love. There are plenty of people who love without asking for anything in return.
- Serve others – Serve food at the church dinner. Help your neighbor mow their lawn.
- Surprise Someone – Send a small gift to someone you love and send it on a random day.
- Speak love – The most important thing is to speak love to your kids and to your husband. Speak love about each other and about others.
How will you teach love to your kids? Drop me a comment below and let me know how you are an example of love today.