If you created your Family Mission Statement and your Core Values with us already, great!! If not, go here to learn how first.
When you created your Family Mission Statement, you were instructed to make it pretty and hang it up. I hope that you have your Family Mission Statement out on grand display in your home. This is the first thing to do when using your statement or core values.
Are you asking, now what? Are you thinking about how to use it beyond putting it on my wall?
Here’s how you should use your core values to get something out of it –
1) Have a monthly checkup, at least. If you have areas to improve on, talk about it in your monthly checkup. The most important thing you can do is really focus on what’s working in your family. Did your child go out of their way to help their sibling? Did they make their bed or do their Bible time without being prompted? That’s awesome!! Those little celebrations are huge wins and you should celebrate it!! Praise goes a long way in building character. Here’s a bonus idea – give a treat for praises. It doesn’t have to be sugary treats, it could be anything. Also, you could work together as a family for something big. Use this time to assess where you are.
Update your statement as necessary every 90 – 180 days.
2) Memorize parts of the statement. There may be a phrase from the statement that you are working on or something that your kids need to work on. Example, if your kids want to bug each other, use a phrase from your statement that helps this circumstance.
3) Talk about it often. Make sure you talk about it without talking about it. Your core values are not something that should be used a tool to change people but should be used as a tool to help make life easier. This tool should be used to gently remind us of the foundation that our family is built on.
4) Use it in your Family Worship. During your talk time of family worship, talk about what is going on and how to change it to align with your core values. This could go with so many different situations. That’s what is beautiful about the Statement, you can apply to so many situations.
5) Reinforce the good. Celebrate little victories. Enjoy the moments when things are going right. Words say a lot, use them wisely.
6) Use a motto. “We are family. Family is a place of kindness.” or “Joy is the best thing to have.” This motto should embody the goal of your family.
There are many more ways to use your Core Values. Simply, you should use them as a life guide for your entire family.
Let me know below how you are using it.